All Myanmar Youths
A five-year-old suffered first degree burns that could leave him scarred for life after having a possible 'chemical reaction' to sun cream.
His father Ashley Martin, 23, from Newport, South Wales, slathered Oscar in Banana Boat No Tears SPF 50 sun cream he bought from Tesco before sending him outside to play last Bank Holiday Monday.
Just two hours later, Oscar raced in from the garden screaming in agony that his 'skin was on fire' and woke the next day covered in 6cm wide puss-filled blisters.
After initially being treated for sunburn, Oscar was rushed to A&E when his skin started peeling and his blisters burst, before being transferred to a specialist burns unit.
Nearly two weeks on, Oscar is still in severe pain and is afraid of going outside.
Furious Mr Martin, who claims Banana Boat have ignored his complaint, is speaking out to urge parents not to use the brand on their children.
A Banana Boat spokesperson said the company 'works diligently to provide high-quality, cost-effective sun protection products'.
Speaking of the incident, Mr Martin said: 'It was a hot Bank Holiday Monday and I was setting the table for Oscar to have his ham sandwich before he came running.
'He was crying and screaming "Mummy, Daddy, I'm burning".
'Over the next few days we gave him Calpol, cold showers and the flamazine cream but nothing seemed to be working.
'You would think a sun cream that has "Tear-free" and SPF 50 plastered on it would be fine so that's why I didn't mind spending £10 on it.'
Thinking his son was just sunburnt, Mr Martin smothered Oscar's back with aloe vera to help ease his pain.
Mr Martin then booked an emergency GP appointment later that day where Oscar was diagnosed with sunburn and prescribed flamazine cream to prevent the affected skin becoming infected.
Oscar spent that night screaming 'help me, I'm burning', which prompted Mr Martin to book a second GP appointment, where he claims nurses advised moisturisers and cold showers.
When Oscar's blisters burst, Mr Martin took him to Wythybush Hospital A&E where doctors treated the youngster for first degree burns brought on by a chemical reaction.
Medics warned the schoolboy may be scarred for life due to the long period of time Oscar went untreated.
Mr Martin said: 'They were shocked none of the GPs did a skin test.
'And because Oscar's burns were treated as sunburn rather than a chemical reaction he could be left scarred for life across his shoulders and lower back. I'm so angry.'
Speaking of how the ordeal has affected Oscar, Mr Martin said: 'He spent the rest of his half term indoors. He's scared to go out in the garden now as he fears it will happen again.
'Oscar has to have a T-shirt on at all times. He still can't have a proper bath as he has to have lukewarm water and sensitive skin products.
'He went back to school this week and he's had to spend his lunchtime inside while his friends go out and play.
'I urge parents not to buy this product. I would just hate to see another kid go through what Oscar has been through.'
Last year mother Claire Tymon, from Hull, claimed Banana Boat left her children's skin resembling 'burnt bacon' while holidaying in Spain.
Despite applying SPF factor 50 Banana Boat UltraMist sun screen several times as instructed, Ms Tymon claims her children Louie, nine, and daughter Millie, 13, were left with horrific burns and also face being scarred for life.
Speaking of Oscar's incident, a spokesman for Banana Boat said: 'We are sorry to hear of this case. We take each customer's concerns seriously and investigate all cases when we are contacted.
'We work diligently to provide high-quality, cost-effective sun protection products, and we are greatly concerned when any person is burned by the sun or encounters a reaction when using our products.
'Our products are tested by qualified independent laboratories using the mandatory European Union and other government agencies test methods and formal quality reviews of the results.'