Haidilao China is investigating an incident where a waitress was scalded by soup from a hotpot that exploded in her face.
According to a report by Sina, the episode occurred at a Haidilao outlet in Yunnan, Kunming, last Wednesday (May 15), and the waitress was helping a customer fish out a lighter dropped into the soup.
Surveillance footage shows the unsuspecting waitress digging in the soup with metal spoons while two seated customers look on.
Suddenly, the lighter presumably explodes in the soup, causing the hot liquid inside to burst out and land on her, as well as diners sitting near the table.
The same report by Sina noted that a similar case of a hotpot in China exploding due to the presence of lighter fluid in the hot soup.
On Feb 22, a customer reportedly threw a lighter into a hotpot in a restaurant in Chongqing, resulting in an explosion.
CCTV footage of the incident captured a man picking up a lighter on the floor and throwing it into the hotpot on his table before leaving with his friends.